With the implementation of Japan-Swiss EPA in coming September, METI announced the procedure to get "approved exporter" status for issuing self-declared C/O (Certificate of Origin).
This self-declared C/O system by approved exporter have never implemented in Japan, the relevant law is amended and new procedure is announced in METI web site. This is first trial both for Japanese government and traders in Japan.
Followings are the main topics of the approved exporter procedure manual.
- Overview of the self-declared C/O system administrated by METI
- Standard of authorization standard: An approved exporter must have experience of applying/receiving C/O periodically under current regulation. In addition, they must have internal governance structure to issue C/O appropriately.
- "Apply/receiving C/O periodically" means more than 8 times in half a year. This is minimum requirement.
- Details of applying procedure, applying form and required supporting documents
- METI will review, evaluate and have interview on site to the approved exporter applicant.
- The registration fee is JPY90,000 (US$950) for initial application. The validity is 3 years, and the renewal fee is JPY5,000 (US$53).
(Source: METI EPA/FTA web site, see bottom of the page, http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/trade_policy/epa/html2/2-torikumi3-switzerland.html)