I attended Japan - Peru EPA seminar by Japan Customs today. This EPA will be effective on March 1st, 2012. As the seminar is held by Japan Customs, the topic is mostly in import procedure at Japan port and Certificate of Origin matters.
Some points to note for this EPA with Peru, compared with other EPA Japan have concluded.
- Self-declaration of origin is available for approved exporter.
- In Peru side, the approved exporter is authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism (El Ministerio de Comercio Exterior y Turismo).
- GSP tariff rate for Peru is no longer available after March 1st, 2012. The exception is the case GSP is lower than EPA preferential rate.
- This EPA have no general origin rule, in other words, all items have PSR (Product Specific Rule).
- In CO form (issued by authorized organization) have "manufacturer name" column in column #2.
- HS code is 2007 version.
- Japan Customs have a list of approved exporters in Peru. However, the list is not disclosed publicly. It is used for Japan Customs to internally check whether the self-declaration of origin is correctly issued by authorized approved exporter.